Friday, October 13, 2006

Ramzan Delicacies & nostalgia


Ramzan (Ramadan in Arabic) is a month of fasting and prayer for Muslims all over the world. During this holy month, Muslims try to spend their maximum time in prayer while they are fasting. Apart from the aspect of prayer and fasting this month is also known for its delicacies. Different places have their own specialities for this month.

In our house we used to make pakoris (also phulki/pyaazu in Urdu) of different kind each day, like onion pakoris, tomato bhajiyas and yes cabbage, potato ones also (aalu bonda) and brinjal bhajiya (baigani) to be served with tamrind sweet and sour chutney and also samosa which was different from what we get outside, here we used to stuff inside with minced meat(Qeema), ofcourse along with these things there were lots of fruits and specially that fruit chat called as kachaloo.

Actually the process of making these samosas is very easy so even when we were very small from then we used to make it, that is myself, my sister and also my brother used to join us in this whole activity. We used to do it under the able guidance of my grandma. May be that was a very small thing to do but at that age we used to be very excited about it.

Today, as I was making these samosas in my house I felt so nostalgic thinking about my childhood days when these very small things give immense pleasure to us and we enjoy doing it. Infact, we used to look forward for the month of Ramzaan when we will get to make and eat these things.

No comments: