Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Poha

I reached Bhopal around 7 in the morning. I was very hungry. This was the first time that I came here after marriage. My husband's friends who came to pick us up at the station, said the dish which is very commonly eaten here in bhopal for breakfast is 'POHA', that was the first time I tasted it. Its a very light dish at the same time very nutritious.

Subsequently, my husband asked me to make it at home. since I had never eaten it before so I just had no idea of how to make. So it was just trial and error method, each time I made it, the dish had a new taste. My poor husband had tough time eating it.

It took almost 2 years for me to learn to make good poha, and now I realise its very easy to make.

Ingredients:

Poha 250 gms
onion finely chopped 1 medium size
green chilli 4-5
curry leaves
mustard seeds(rai )
fennel seeds(saunf)
salt to taste
turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
sugar 1/4 tsp
green coriander
lime

Method:

Rinse poha well with water. Soak it in very little water and keep for 10 minutes.
Heat little oil in the pan add mustard seeds , fennel seeds and curry leaves . Then add green chilies finely chopped. and thne finely chopped onions. Let the stove be on simmer.
Add poha to it and salt, turmeric and sugar. Mix well on low flame.Garnish with green coriander and lime and serve hot

No comments: