Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Shahanas of Kakori

Kakori is a small town 15 Km away from Lucknow. It is quiete famous for dacoity during the freedom struggle and The Kakori Ke Kabab. Apart from this there is one more thing which are just made that is hand made in kakori alone, they are a kind of bangles made of clay and then they are beautifully decorated on the top with finely cut tiny mirrors and coloured paper. They are called as Shahana. These Shahana are not found any where else, not even in Lucknow. They are the speciality of Kakori.

This time when I went to Kakori I wanted to buy a pair of these shahanas as I wanted to gift them to some of my friends as this would be a unique thing to be gifted. But to my surprise when I went to buy them the kind of shahana I was showed simply aroused my temper. they were so badly made that I just can't describe. There was no delicacy in the work done on it with mirrors and coloured paper. Usually the mirrors that are put are all cut in same shape and are of equal size. But now what she was showing me had each mirror of different shape and size.

I was so much disappointed to see that work . It simply infuriated me. Infact, I told that lady who was selling it, that it doesn't matter if you increase the price but please do not bring down the quality. I wonder why the neatness , delicacy and finneness of of work is not taken into consideration while any thing is bought by the customers of today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not a small town Oroosa ji, it is quite a big town.