Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Are Teachers Really Doing Justice To Their Job???

Today being Teacher's Day we greet our teachers on this day and also all the the news papers and the news channels are constantly reminding the students of respecting their techers and expressing their gratitude towards them.

If any one happens to go any college or school today u will find how students shower their teachers with gifts, flowers, bouquets, cards and they praise them as if they love them and respect them more than any one else. I wonder how much is the truth in this.

I my self have been a teacher at university level for five years so I have seen five techers day functions and I have gone through all that praise and blah blah bla...... But let me tell u I never believed any of it. As I feel it is hypocrisy at least in these days, because no student looks at any techer with so much regard and respect. And as it is fashion to celebrate such days and do all those formalities they do it and forget about it the very next moment.

At the same time I want to say teachers also do not have that dedication and sincierity towards their job. They have become very mechanical. That is they concenterate on finishing the syllabus by hook or by crook (some of them don't even do that). Then they feel their duty is over. They forget that their duty is not over infact it starts there. Because once the syllabi are over only then they can teach the students the beauty of the subject. It is then the student will start appreciating that subject and he/she will get a feel of what they are taught.

It is upto teacher to mould the students - good or bad.This saying holds even today.But the problem is today every thing is weiged in terms of money. I had my own collegues saying, " For the amount we r being paid this much work is enough. Why should we do extra work?" Then I fail to understand why do those very same teachers want that extra dose of "respect" from the students. Because for the big fat fee the students are paying they are being taught. What is the big deal in that?

So,I feel on this day instead of giving sermons to the students about how much they must respect their teachers it is the teachers who must do a little interospection. Do we teachers still have that very same dedication , sincerity and commitment towards our job ? Can these present day teachers compare themselves to Dr. Radhakrishnan or those olden days guru who did not ask for any gurudakshina?

No comments: